Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pup-pup-puppy Power!

     Well the benefit for the Fayette County Humane Society seemed to be a success. I got there fairly early to do a sound check with my system. Almost immediately after playing around 10 seconds of a song one of the volunteers came up and started complaining about how much they HATED when they were trying to eat and live music was playing. Good Start. Needless to say I turned my system down. I'm telling you there is nothing like try to suppress the dynamics of your songs that were designed and played to grab attention and sell CDs. As Kurt Cobain said last night i was "Half the man i used to be." Although I received GREAT feedback from everyone (including the initial person), got some George Washingtons in the ol tip jar, sold a CD, and handed out about 40 cards, I'm gonna chalk that up as doing one for the Humane Society. That's what it was all about anyway.
     That being said, let me get to the point. For about 2 hours they were streaming a slideshow with animals that needed to be adopted. Seriously, it was like the Macy's Day Parade lasting until Christmas Day. I can't believe that within that ONE agency there were so many animals. If you're reading this and thinking of getting a pet. Do it. If you say, "I don't know where we'd put one." Slide over the vase in the corner and put down a dog bed. They are not difficult to take care of or extremely costly and many animals still remain threatened by kill-shelters. Ashley and I constantly recognize the extreme gratitude that we receive from Lenny. He became an instant part of our family.

     I loved playing this benefit. It's, I believe, the first official benefit concert I've actually done. Though I was quietly playing in the corner, the volunteers said that it added a TON in regard to atmosphere to the overall auctions and benefit. So musicians, if you want to help an organization in any way. Hand them some music and ask them what you can do to help. I approached the Humane Society. They didn't approach me. If something can happen with it, above everything else you're doing something for a good cause. In addition, I gained exposure to an extra 200 or 300 people. 

Keep Driving.
Neil . .  . Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment