Saturday, October 9, 2010

The First for the Last

     As I'm getting ready to embark on this life as an independent musician I figured the easiest way to keep track of the ups and downs, the overcomings and the shortcomings would be digitally. I'd like to use this blog as a means of an outlet, something that other musicians can find solace in. Something that someone could discover and keep it close to them . . . or just a means. That being said, my name is Neil Cribbs. And as of one week ago I'm an independent musician. It's what I do for a living. And here we are, one week in, and I'm poor. Nothing like "into the fire." Before this particular stint I was a bartender for a "green" restaurant (poor then too). A good friend of mine Ben Jones decided a few months ago that he would jump on board and become my booking agent. And thus he did . . .
     As soon as he began calling he began booking. There is something about having a person represent you that makes venues say, "Hey! This guy has an agent. He has to be booked here!" Seriously people, just have your mother call for you if you have to. It'll get you more gigs. Anyway, things were going pretty smoothly and then Ben got another job and just had a baby. Don't get me wrong. I'm very very happy for him. It just kinda doubles my work. But enough about me . . things are going well, poor, but well. and here's what's on the agenda for today,
     I'm playing a benefit show for the Fayette County Humane Society called Cause for Paws. It was kind of an idea that I had when my girlfriend Ashley and I got our pooch Lenny from the shelter. Being pretty young and not having the finances I didn't have a way to give back for the addition to our family that they had given us. . . so I found out about this benefit and decided to ask them if they'd like some music. And here we are.
     There will probably be many things in this blog that will come up as the days go by that may not make sense. It's ok. Sometimes people say things in conversation that don't make any sense and people just gloss past them. Let them be. It's ok. I don't see any reason to spill all the beans in the first posting. That being said.

Keep Driving.
N

3 comments: